Thank you for your interest in the University of Chicago’s one-year MA program in Digital Studies of Language, Culture, and History. The deadlines and requirements for applying to the program are described below.
The application period for the 2021–2022 academic year will begin in September 2020.
- The first-round application deadline for the 2021–2022 academic year is January 4, 2021. Individuals admitted to MA program in the first round are expected to respond by April 30.
- The second-round application deadline for the 2020–2021 academic year is April 30, 2021. The deadline for second round admits to respond is June 1.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of materials submitted by the deadline, and we cannot guarantee that materials received after the deadline will be given consideration. Late applications will be considered only as long as places are available in the relevant programs. Financial aid (other than loans) is not available for late applicants.
Our application is now entirely online, and all materials should be submitted through the online application. Please do not send any materials in hard copy. If for any reason it is not possible to submit materials online, please contact the Division of the Humanities by email or by phone at 773-702-1552.
We recommend submitting application documents as PDF files for the most reliable results. The application system will also accept Microsoft Word documents, OpenDocument files, and a few other formats with varying levels of fidelity. Regardless of the file format you use, we recommend reviewing your application proof carefully to make sure all documents were successfully added to your file by our system.
All applicants must submit the following materials:
- a statement of purpose,
- 3 letters of recommendation,
- transcripts for all previous degrees and coursework,
- GRE test scores from within the preceding 5 years,
- TOEFL or IELTS test scores from within the preceding 2 years (if needed to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement), and
- an application fee of $90. The fee can be waived if it presents a financial hardship, or for members of certain groups. Requesting a waiver will not affect the assessment of your application.